A correct strategy can simplify the complexity of business equations. When you work on a pre-planned strategy, you stay more confident and organized while performing any task. This assures that you can meet your target in the desired time limit.
Before digging the advanced bricks of strategic management, let us first understand what exactly strategic management is all about?
Strategic management is based upon analyzing the major initiatives taken by the top brass of the company on behalf of its owners. The professionals practicing strategic management have their involvement into resources and internal & external company matters. It entails specifying the following major aspects related to the company-
- Organization’s mission,
- Objectives, developing policies and plans, usually in terms of projects and programs, which are designed to achieve these objectives, and
- Allocation of resources to implement the policies and plans, projects and programs.
Importance of Strategic Management in business –
Strategic management helps you to identify the potential of each individual in the organization, so that, you can help them in improving and bring out the best in them to benefit the organization. With this, the level of alertness among the employees increases ensuring fast and effective completion of the objectives or targets.
- It determines the long run performance of the organization by keeping a check on the internal and external elements to affect the growth of the organization.
- Strategic Management makes you a pro in utilizing limited resources to their maximum efficiency and make maximum profit out of them to increase the profitability of your business.
Approaches to Strategic management –
Approach to strategic management can be classified into following three major categories –
- In the bottom-up approach, employees submit proposals to their managers who funnel the best ideas up the ladder. This is often part of a capital budgeting process. Proposals are assessed using financial criteria such as return on investment or cost-benefit analysis. Incorrect estimates of costs and benefits are common errors. Approved proposals implicitly form the substance of the strategy without a strategic design or architect.
- The top-down approach is the most common by far. In it, the CEO and the Board of Directors decide on the overall direction the company should take. The strategy flows down through the organization as each unit adapts to the new approach.
- Some organizations employ collaborative techniques that surface new ideas in the process leveraging advances in information technology. It is felt that knowledge management systems should be used to share information and create common goals.
Recent trends in Strategic management –
Currently, two management theories are greatly being practiced all across the globe-
- Theory Z management (Ouchi’s Theory)
- Achieving Excellence
The Theory Z management is created by a careful analysis of the success of Japanese Organizations. The theory is widely being practiced in the world everywhere. Z. Ouchi’s theory is based upon seven parameters related to employees, evaluation, responsibilities and control mechanism etc. These parameters also define the basic principle differences between Japanese and American Companies.
Achieving Excellence is a theory which is developed by Peter and Waterman depending upon eight basic principles of excellent companies, which lays emphasis on the value system, action-driven working, simple structure and lean staff etc.
Future of strategic management –
Strategy plays a pivotal role in taking an organization ahead. Strategic management becomes a serious concern for companies in the increasingly competitive environment. It broadens the horizon of imagination and innovation for an organization and makes it stand unique with respect to work, services, and performance. No doubt strategic management secures a great future in the rapidly advancing scenario. Companies are always in dire need of creative minds to draft the blueprint for success for them.
Enhance your knowledge and boost your career with our highly professional strategic management course.
iACT Global is one of India’s leading online education provider company to the working professionals. Strategic management course with us contains an in-depth understanding of strategic management techniques and all the latest advancements in the field.